The Olympics dream seems to have smitten India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The Modi government and National Olympic body have invited International Olympic Committee (IOC) chief Dr Thomas Bach for a meeting with Mr Modi to discuss the development of sports in the country and possible bid by New Delhi for the 2024 Olympic Games.
This will be the first time Mr Bach visits India after becoming the IOC president. The date of the meeting has been tentatively fixed on April 27. India’s Sports Secretary Ajit Sharan and IOA President N. Ramachandran handed the invitation to Dr Bach, a former Olympian from Germany, at the IOC headquarter in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Mr Ramachandran confirmed the meeting between Mr Bach and Mr Modi later this month. However, he refused to comment on India’s probable bid for the Olympic Games 2024.
“The IOA and the Government of India have invited IOC chief Dr. Thomas Bach for a meeting with the honorable Prime Minister of India in the last week of this month to discuss about the development of sports in India,” Mr Ramachandran said.
India can bid for the 2024 Olympic Games till September 2015, and the process of sending the “expression of interest” to the Olympic committee has already begun in January 2015, said informed sources.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region
- Diplomacy2021.02.22PM Morrison reaches out to India amid Australia v/s Facebook tussle
- India and the World2021.02.18Forging closer India-EU partnership in Indo-Pacific