According to the study of Google and AT Kearney released on August 21, the expected rise in the use of smartphones and telecom penetration will add an additional $8 billion or Rs 50,000 crore in incremental revenues in the next three years.
“Digital content and services…as well as digital customer engagement, can unlock massive opportunity in e-stores and e-care,” said Nikolai Dobberstein, partner, AT Kearney.
The study predicts that the number of mobile internet users in the country are expected to increase three-folds to 480 million by 2017. While smartphones penetration is set to touch 385 million people, e-transactions are set to reach 160 million.
Consultancy firm AT Kearney was hired by online advertising giant Google to study the prospects for telecom companies in the growth of internet and mobile penetration in the country.
In a 15-city survey, where around 3,500 people were interviewed, AT Kearney found that people looked forward to completing more transactions online.
Thirty percent of the total number of phones are internet-enabled, various services is expected to create multiple opportunities, beyond simple network delivery. Media content and services would account for $6.2 billion or 75% of incremental revenues. The report added, additional revenues could come provided companies generate content in regional Indian vernaculars.
“Indian telecos have a great opportunity to proactively create tremendous value by driving a digital strategy aligned with consumer needs,” said Rajan Anandan, vice-president and managing director, sales and operations, Google India.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region
- Diplomacy2021.02.22PM Morrison reaches out to India amid Australia v/s Facebook tussle
- India and the World2021.02.18Forging closer India-EU partnership in Indo-Pacific