India’s GDP growth will dip to 6.5 per cent in 2016-2017 from 7.6 per cent in the previous financial year, but rebound to between 6.75 per cent and 7.5 per cent in 2017-18, said the Economic Survey presented by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on January 31.
The Budget session began with a customary speech by President Pranab Mukherjee to the joint session of parliament in which he highlighted the government’s commitment to financial inclusion and empowerment of the poor and downtrodden thorough a host of innovative financial schemes.
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Tuesday tabled the Economic Survey 2017 in Parliament. The presentation of the Survey kick started the Budget session, following President Pranab Mukherjee’s address to a joint session of Parliament. The annual Budget has been advanced, and will be presented on February one.
Pitching for reforms to “unleash economic dynamism and social justice,” the Economic Survey predicted that the agriculture sector will grow at 4.1 per cent in the current year up from 1.2 per cent in 2015-16. The growth rate of the industrial sector is estimated to moderate to 5.2 per cent in 2016-17 from 7.4 per cent in 2015-16.
The Survey underscored that Foreign Direct Investments (FDI) reforms have made India to become one of the world’s largest recipients of FDI. The survey reinforced the government’s narrative on demonetisation, saying it has short-term costs but holds the potential for long-term benefits.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- China Connect2020.11.28A New Start, A New Journey
- Diplomacy2020.11.26India-Italy Connect: The Road Ahead (WEBINAR VIDEO)
- India and the World2020.11.25Italian envoy calls for rebalancing Europe-China ties, pitches for enhanced defence ties with India
- Diplomacy2020.11.24India eyes closer ties with Bahrain, UAE, and Seychelles