“India under the government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has carried out some really fundamental reforms. These include the Goods and Services Tax (GST), the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code…A lot of what they have done on financial inclusion has been really important,growth performance has been very solid,I mean, not so much in the third quarter of this year, but generally it has been quite solid,there are important vulnerabilities, so it is important for the reform momentum to be maintained even as an election comes up and for the path of fiscal adjustment to be maintained,there is a big challenge of stricter, oversight,but as the government is trying to better oversee the banking system, these loans have migrated to shadow banking and that is an area where more needs to be done to contain financial pressures, which we are beginning to see in India,but the lesson of experiences is that financial vulnerabilities can go south very quickly.”
IMF’s Chief Economist Maurice Obstfeld has said India’s growth under Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been “very solid” over the past four years.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is a pioneering e-magazine and portal focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have been interviewed by and have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. To subscribe to India and World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2020.06.04India, Australia elevate partnership; sign seven agreements
- Diplomacy2020.06.04Virtual summit: India, Australia elevate ties, sign maritime declaration
- Business with India2020.06.02Modi revives hope: Yes, India will get economic growth back
- India and the World2020.06.02Trump brainwave: Ring out G7, ring in G10 with India on board