Staring at a massive shortfall in its disinvestment target for the year, the government could ask cash-rich state-run firms to pick up stakes in other public sector companies. This is aimed at bridging a deficit of more than Rs 50,000 crore (around $8 billion) in the government’s disinvestment target set for the current fiscal year.
Nine months into the year, the government has managed to raise only Rs 12,700 crore. Any hopes of meeting the budgeted target are increasingly slim because of poor appetite for commodity stocks that the government has to sell in the backdrop of a global downturn in the sector.
As the present market conditions are looking grim to divest stake in PSUs, it has forced the government to delay the stake sale. The government has been able to sell stake in just four PSUs which include Indian Oil, Rural Electrification Corporation (REC), Power Finance Corporation (PFC) and Dredging Corp, raising a total of Rs 12,700 crore.
With the pressure growing on the government to maintain the fiscal deficit target, officials are looking at “cross-holdings and share buybacks” to compensate the shortfall in disinvestment proceeds. This will enable the cash-rich firms to use their surplus holdings in buying stakes put up by the government and also enable the finance ministry to achieve its targets. Some analysts, however, say that asking PSUs to allocate funds to buy shares in each other is likely to impact their capital expansion plans.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.10.26With India on upswing, PM Modi heads to G20, climate summit
- India and the World2021.10.20India, EU review 2025 roadmap, agree to advance FTA talks
- India and the World2021.09.30Quad set to grow stronger, more focus on economic than China
- Diplomacy2021.09.27Webinar: Eminent diplomats, experts to map post-summit future of Quad