With the intent to encourage start-ups to patent their technologies, the Indian government has slashed the fee by up to 80 percent as well as introduced a special window to expedite clearances for them.
Start-ups from all over the world can now register for patents at a much lower cost.
As per the new faster clearance route, the application fee for individuals and start-ups is Rs 8,000, while for companies it is about Rs 60,000.
Aiming to unclog the patent regime and pendency of applications, the government has allowed the withdrawal of applications without any fee. There are nearly 237 patent applications pending at present. More than 2 lakh applications are in the examination stage.
Further, the new rules will allow future applicants to put applications on a fast-track mode if they select India as the ‘International Search Authority’ or the ‘International Preliminary Examining Authorities’, and file applications in India first.
All start-ups will be able to use this facility. “We want to encourage domestic filings”, Joint Secretary, Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion Rajiv Aggarwal said.
Emphasising on hastening the process, he said, “We have not specified the exact time limits in the notification but we will be able to significantly speed up processes”.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.07.11Webinar Video: Mapping Next Steps in India-Africa Partnership
- China Connect2020.07.10It’s time to put India-China relations back on track, think ahead: Chinese envoy
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace