India has increased its exposure to US government securities by USD 31 billion in the first five months of 2015, thereby taking the total holdings to USD 114 billion. India has traditionally had limited exposure to US government securities when compared to China. This increase in holding also makes it the highest ever holding by India in more than a year.
China and Japan are the largest holders of US government securities with holdings of USD 1.27 trillion and USD 1.21 trillion respectively. Ever since the NDA-led government came to power in May 2014, India has been steadily increasing its exposure to the US G-Sec. The US G-Sec is seen as one of the safest instruments in the world as no other investment carries as strong a guarantee that interest and principal will be paid on time.
This growing change in India increasing its exposure to US G-Sec also shows India trying to reach the level of China and Japan in its holdings though it has some distance to catch up with both countries to reach their level of holdings. This is a slow but steady change emerging in India’s existing portfolio allocation.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2021.03.05Connectivity with Bangladesh is of prime importance, says Jaishankar in Dhaka
- India and the World2021.03.01Environment in the Media webinar: It’s time for world to unite against global warming
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region