Simplification of governance, coupled with financial accountability. These are the twin goals of India’s finance ministry’s new initiative to introduce an online mechanism which will track every paisa that the Centre allots to the states for various welfare schemes.
Through this integrated web portal, the central exchequer can track the money throughout the entire process: from the time it is released to when it is received by the beneficiary. This move is expected to stop fund leakages –a major bane for India’s developmental aspirations.
In the current financial year, the Centre is expected to release as much as Rs. 3,00,000 crores (around $50 billion) to state governments.
The change in fund distribution system will also simplify the process of releasing funds. Earlier, the Planning Commission would instruct the concerned ministries to disseminate funds only after state plans were given the final nod in consultation with the state chief ministers.
This move is another step towards abolishing the Planning Commission, as announced by India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his Independence Day Speech on August 15.
While the portal will allow officer of the finance ministry to track funds, no decision to open the portal to the public has been taken as yet.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace
- India and the World2020.07.03Australian envoy bats for India’s UNSC seat, closer cooperation in G-11 & Quad
- Diplomacy2020.07.02Trump’s G11 invitation a vote of confidence in India: Anil Wadhwa