WASHINGTON: A warm handshake, mutual praise and talk of the two democracies converging on a wide range of issues. It was a positive start as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump, sporting his trademark red tie, sat down for talks in the White House on June 26 to map the way forward for the India-US relationship for the next four years.
Mr Modi looked happy as he engaged in small talk with the US First Couple at the South Portico of the White House as the leaders of the world’s largest and oldest democracies walked together for their first full-spectrum meeting.
“…such a great Prime Minister,” Mr Trump lavished praise on his Indian guest as the two leaders were joined by their respective delegations. “I’ve been speaking with you and reading about you and you’ve done a great job economically India’s doing very well. And in so many other ways, I congratulate you,” said the US president, known for his flamboyance and mercurial temperament.
Mr Modi profusely thanked his American host for welcoming him and his delegation, and underlined that it was an honour not only for him, but for 1.25 billion people of India.
The two leaders are understood to have discussed a wide array of issues, including scaling up economic relations and galvanising their burgeoning defence partnership. Mr Trump thanked the Indian leader for purchasing American defence equipment, and added with his trademark swagger: “nobody makes it better than we do.”
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is a pioneering e-magazine and portal focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have been interviewed by and have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. To subscribe to India and World, write to email@example.com
- Africa Insights2020.06.01India, Africa should accelerate UNSC reforms: South Africa’s BRICS Sherpa
- News2020.05.30The present and future of 130 crore will never be dictated by an adversity : Modi
- China Connect2020.05.28India-China border stand-off: Chinese envoy calls for settling amicably, invokes close ties
- Diplomacy2020.05.27Trump offers to mediate in India-China border standoff