Defying pollsters and pundits, Donald Trump, the flamboyant and controversial billionaire, looks set for a shock victory in the historical US presidential election and is poised to become the 45th president of the United States.
In the elections that went down the wire, Mr Trump, known for his controversial views on Muslims, minorities and immigration, scored a spate of victories in swing states, tipping the balance decisively in his favour.
The Republican maverick managed to win key battleground states of Ohio, Florida and North Carolina, and also scored well in many Democratic bastions.
Mr Trump’s victory underscores deep resentment among large sections of Americans, especially blue-collar workers, with the Washington establishment.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. Centre for Global India Insights is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs.
- India and the WorldMarch 2, 2024Jaishankar charts India’s ascent to a leading power
- India and the WorldMarch 1, 2024India-Mauritius Connect: From Runways to RuPay
- India and the WorldFebruary 28, 2024Gaza crisis: Jaishankar pitches for sustainable solution, says terror unacceptable
- India and the WorldFebruary 26, 2024Raisina Call: It’s time for a female UN Secretary-General