The birth anniversary of B.R. Ambedkar, the architect of the Indian Constitution, will be observed at the United Nations (UN) for the first time with focus on combating inequalities to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The birthday of Mr Ambedkar is celebrated on April 14 every year. He was a dedicated Dalit rights activist and an advocate of equality and social justice.
Some of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) adopted by the UN in 2015 had traces of Mr Ambedkar’s vision. India’s Permanent Mission to the UN in association with the Kalpana Saroj Foundation and Foundation For Human Horizon will commemorate the 125th birth anniversary of Mr Ambedkar on April 13 at the UN headquarters in New York.
The UN will organise a panel discussion on the occasion, and the discussion would be on ‘Combating inequalities for the achievement of SDGs.’ “Babasaheb’s birth anniversary to be observed at UN for 1st time with focus on combating inequalities to achieve SDGs,” India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Syed Akbaruddin said.
The honour bestowed on Mr Ambedkar by the UN on his 125th birth anniversary comes in the backdrop of growing criticism of the Indian government’s treatment of the oppressed sections of society, which has also become a major issue in educational institutions across the countries.
A note released by the Indian mission said: “India celebrates the 125th birth anniversary of the “national icon”.” Mr Ambedkar is seen as an inspiration for millions of Indians and an advocate of equality and social justice across the world.
Hailing Mr Ambedkar’s vision, the Indian mission said: “Fittingly, although it’s a matter of coincidence, one can see the trace of Babasaheb’s radiant vision in the Sustainable Development Goals adopted by the UN General Assembly to eliminate poverty, hunger and socio-economic inequality by 2030.”
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.07.11Webinar Video: Mapping Next Steps in India-Africa Partnership
- China Connect2020.07.10It’s time to put India-China relations back on track, think ahead: Chinese envoy
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace