In a major victory against the Covid-19 pandemic, China has reported no new cases of infection for the first time in the country’s Wuhan Province, the epicenter of the outbreak. It has come as a huge relief for the Chinese government even as nations across the world have ramped up measures in a desperate effort to contain the pandemic.This shows China’s exemplary national determination and organizational capability to combat the pandemic in a record time. According to the National Health Commission, there were no new cases in Wuhan, where the virus first emerged in December, on March 19. Wuhan has been placed under strict quarantine since January, and the rest of China also enacted tough measures to limit the spread.
A total of 3,245 people have died from the disease so far, according to the commission. There have been nearly 81,000 infections but only 7,263 people remain sick with the disease. The global number has shot past 200,000, with more than 8,700 deaths.On March 10, President Xi Jinping visited Wuhan for the first time since the outbreak began and declared that the spread of the disease was “basically curbed”. On the same day, Hubei allowed people to travel within the province for the first time since January, excluding Wuhan.
Although life has slowly started to return to normal, there is a growing concern about a second wave of infections due to an influx of cases from abroad. The National Health Commission said there were 34 more cases brought in from abroad. “We should never allow the hard-won and continuous positive trend to be reversed,” President Xi said at a meeting of the Communist Party of China (CPC) on March 18.
Mainland China has reported 80,881 confirmed cases, including 8,976 patients who are being treated and 68,679 patients who were discharged after recovery as of March 17. The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) has reported 157 confirmed cases and four deaths till March 17, while Macao SAR reported 11 confirmed cases. In Taiwan, there were 67 confirmed cases and one death so far.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.09.23Defence and security cooperation was a key 21st century pillar for India and Africa : Jaishankar
- The Power of India2020.09.22We live in an international community linked together at multiple levels by multiple arrangements : Shringla
- India and the World2020.09.22The UN faces a crisis of confidence and today’s challenges cannot be fought with outdated structures : Modi
- The Power of India2020.09.21Our agriculture sector is in desperate need of latest technology that assists the industrious farmers :Modi