In a major victory against the Covid-19 pandemic, China has reported no new cases of infection for the first time in the country’s Wuhan Province, the epicenter of the outbreak. It has come as a huge relief for the Chinese government even as nations across the world have ramped up measures in a desperate effort to contain the pandemic.This shows China’s exemplary national determination and organizational capability to combat the pandemic in a record time. According to the National Health Commission, there were no new cases in Wuhan, where the virus first emerged in December, on March 19. Wuhan has been placed under strict quarantine since January, and the rest of China also enacted tough measures to limit the spread.
A total of 3,245 people have died from the disease so far, according to the commission. There have been nearly 81,000 infections but only 7,263 people remain sick with the disease. The global number has shot past 200,000, with more than 8,700 deaths.On March 10, President Xi Jinping visited Wuhan for the first time since the outbreak began and declared that the spread of the disease was “basically curbed”. On the same day, Hubei allowed people to travel within the province for the first time since January, excluding Wuhan.
Although life has slowly started to return to normal, there is a growing concern about a second wave of infections due to an influx of cases from abroad. The National Health Commission said there were 34 more cases brought in from abroad. “We should never allow the hard-won and continuous positive trend to be reversed,” President Xi said at a meeting of the Communist Party of China (CPC) on March 18.
Mainland China has reported 80,881 confirmed cases, including 8,976 patients who are being treated and 68,679 patients who were discharged after recovery as of March 17. The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) has reported 157 confirmed cases and four deaths till March 17, while Macao SAR reported 11 confirmed cases. In Taiwan, there were 67 confirmed cases and one death so far.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is a pioneering e-magazine and portal focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have been interviewed by and have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. To subscribe to India and World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.06.01India, Africa should accelerate UNSC reforms: South Africa’s BRICS Sherpa
- News2020.05.30The present and future of 130 crore will never be dictated by an adversity : Modi
- China Connect2020.05.28India-China border stand-off: Chinese envoy calls for settling amicably, invokes close ties
- Diplomacy2020.05.27Trump offers to mediate in India-China border standoff