Beijing: The second Belt and Road Forum opened on a bright day in Beijing on April 25, with Chinese President Xi Jinping exhorting partner countries to join hands in promoting high-quality development through his signature initiative of building trans-continental infrastructure and connectivity.With around 40 world leaders in attendance at the imposing China National Convention Centre, President Xi stressed on the principle of extensive consultation, joint contribution and shared benefits to advance the Belt and Road Initiative.
Mapping the next steps for BRI, Mr Xi stressed on building infrastructure of high quality, sustainability, risk resilience, reasonable pricing, inclusiveness and accessibility under the BRI. The president added that building infrastructure with such standards could help countries give full play to their advantages in resources and better integrate into the global supply, industry and value chains for interconnected development.The open, green and clean approaches should be adhered to, he said in the opening ceremony at the Second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation in Beijing.
The goals of high-standard, livelihood-improving and sustainable development should be achieved, according to Xi.In an important message, President Xi also reiterated China’s commitment to multilateralism and further opening up its market. China will increase imports of goods and services on a larger scale and further lower its tariff rates, Mr Xi said. He said the country would continuously open up its market and welcome quality products from around the world.
China is willing to import more competitive farm produces, finished products and services, he said.
- Manish Chand is Founder-CEO and Editor-in-Chief of India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) and India and World, a pioneering magazine focused on international affairs. He is CEO/Director of TGII Media Private Limited, an India-based media, publishing, research and consultancy company.
- India and the World2020.06.18India set for UN Security Council seat with NORM mantra, to fast-track counter-terror pact
- India and the World2020.06.03First-ever India-Australia virtual summit: Meaty outcomes on a ScoMosas plate!
- In Conversation2020.05.15No more playing India against China, India is a special friend: Maldives FM
- India and the World2020.05.01Sharing & Solidarity in the Time of Corona