In the early 1930s, Henry Miller penned down what he called 11 commandments on writing while working on Tropic of Cancer, the novel that will launch him into literary stardom and a variegated career as a novelist with genre-bending works such as Tropic of Capricorn, Black Spring and the Colossus of Maroussi.
11 Commandments on Writing
1. Work on one thing at a time until finished.
2. Start no more new books, add no more new material to “Black Spring.”
3. Don’t be nervous. Work calmly, joyously, recklessly on whatever is in hand.
4. Work according to Program and not according to mood. Stop at the appointed time!
5. When you can’t create you can work.
6. Cement a little every day, rather than add new fertilizers.
7. Keep human! See people, go places, drink if you feel like it.
8. Don’t be a draught-horse! Work with pleasure only.
9. Discard the Program when you feel like it — but go back to it next day. Concentrate. Narrow down. Exclude.
10. Forget the books you want to write. Think only of the book you are writing.
11. Write first and always. Painting, music, friends, cinema, all these come afterwards.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2022.09.27India protests US’s F-16 funds for Pakistan: You are not fooling anybody
- Diplomacy2022.09.25Taliban demands apology from Pakistan for calling Afghanistan a hub of terrorism
- India and the World2022.09.23India calls for ending Ukraine conflict, targets China on terror
- India and the World2022.09.16SCO in Samarkand: Modi pitches for enhancing connectivity