Amid a swelling outrage in India over attacks targeting minorities, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed deep concern over the gang-rape of an elderly nun in West Bengal and the vandalisation of an under-construction church in Haryana. He has sought a detailed report on the incidents immediately.
The Prime Minister Office (PMO) tweeted, “PM is deeply concerned about the incidents in Hisar, Haryana and Nadia, West Bengal.”
The PMO has asked for “mmediate report on facts & action taken regarding the incidents of Haryana & West Bengal,” said another tweet.
Mr Modi has unveiled a scheme of “Mission Shashaktikaran”, which seeks to promote economic empowerment and security for the minorities.
The prime minister’s reactions came after a 71-year- old nun was attacked and raped by robbers in a convent school at Ranaghat in Nadia district of West Bengal last week.
In another incident, an under-construction church in the Kaimri village in Hissar district of Haryana, was vandalised, and the cross mark was replaced with an idol of Hanuman (the Hindu god), triggering outrage in Haryana and across the country.
A series of recent rapes involving kids, teens and foreign tourists have hurt the country’s reputation.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.09.17AUKUS triggers diplomatic churn, India adopts strategic silence
- India and the World2021.09.17With Taliban on mind, Modi asks SCO to forge template against extremism
- Business with India2021.09.16India, UK eye interim trade deal, aim for $30 billion target
- India and the World2021.09.09BRICS@15 summit: Modi calls for making BRICS more result-oriented