Amid a swelling outrage in India over attacks targeting minorities, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed deep concern over the gang-rape of an elderly nun in West Bengal and the vandalisation of an under-construction church in Haryana. He has sought a detailed report on the incidents immediately.
The Prime Minister Office (PMO) tweeted, “PM is deeply concerned about the incidents in Hisar, Haryana and Nadia, West Bengal.”
The PMO has asked for “mmediate report on facts & action taken regarding the incidents of Haryana & West Bengal,” said another tweet.
Mr Modi has unveiled a scheme of “Mission Shashaktikaran”, which seeks to promote economic empowerment and security for the minorities.
The prime minister’s reactions came after a 71-year- old nun was attacked and raped by robbers in a convent school at Ranaghat in Nadia district of West Bengal last week.
In another incident, an under-construction church in the Kaimri village in Hissar district of Haryana, was vandalised, and the cross mark was replaced with an idol of Hanuman (the Hindu god), triggering outrage in Haryana and across the country.
A series of recent rapes involving kids, teens and foreign tourists have hurt the country’s reputation.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2022.09.25Taliban demands apology from Pakistan for calling Afghanistan a hub of terrorism
- India and the World2022.09.23India calls for ending Ukraine conflict, targets China on terror
- India and the World2022.09.16SCO in Samarkand: Modi pitches for enhancing connectivity
- In Conversation2022.09.16India has a big role to play in SCO: Uzbekistan’s SCO coordinator