On June 25, Mr Modi, an ardent proponent of fast-track urbanisation, launched Smart Cities Mission, the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) and Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY).
Unveiling these programmes at a function organised at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi on June 25, the prime minister said, “Governments should have looked at urbanisation as an opportunity to drive growth. India’s population is aspiring better standards of living and quality of life and this urban push is the first step in that direction.”
This is the first instance when India has planned to develop 60 cities simultaneously, with Uttar Pradesh getting 13, Tamil Nadu 12, Maharashtra 10, and Gujarat and Karnataka eligible for six cities each.
The three projects will attract an investment of over Rs 300,000 corer over the next five years, with The Smart City and AMRUT projects getting Rs 48,000 crore and Rs 50,000 crore respectively.
Under the Smart City Mission, the government aims to enhance quality of life in 100 selected cities, with 24-hour power and water supply, better education facilities, world class transportation system, e-governance and environment-friendly atmosphere.
AMRUT is aimed at ensuring basic infrastructure for 500 Indian cities with a population of over 100,000. The development will include adequate water supply, sewer connections, sanitation, solid waste management, and a provision for roads and public transportation.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2022.05.21Quad summit in Tokyo to focus on rules-based Indo-Pacific
- China Connect2022.05.19Implement Global Security Initiative, Maintain Peace and Stability in Asia
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi
- Quote-Unquote2022.05.04India believes there will be no winner in Russia-Ukraine conflict : Modi