In a spectacular repudiation of the Washington establishment, Donald Trump has won the historic US presidential elections and will be the 45th president of the US.
The Republican candidate has already won 278 electoral college votes, against his arch rival Hillary Clinton’s 219 votes, giving him a comfortable victory.
“The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer,” Mr. Trump told supporters in the wee hours in New York City.
In a victory speech shortly after the results became clear, Mr Trump told his delirious supporters at his New York headquarters, to “come together as one united people.”
Hillary Clinton has conceded defeat.
Mr Trump, a maverick billionaire real estate tycoon and former reality television star, built his campaign around deepening discontent among blue-collar workers who felt neglected by the powerful Washington establishment. He expertly played on their fears about immigration and losing jobs in the aftermath of trans-regional trade deals his predecessor was engaged in negotiating.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. Centre for Global India Insights is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs.
- India and the WorldDecember 1, 2023COP28: PM Modi to pitch for accelerating climate finance
- India and the WorldNovember 30, 2023Inclusivity has been at the heart of India’s G20 Presidency: PM Modi
- India and the WorldNovember 23, 2023G20 Virtual Summit: Modi unveils new pro-South initiatives, voices concern over Israel-Hamas War
- India and the WorldNovember 15, 2023It’s time for Global South: India, South Africa, Cuba pitch for reforming global governance