A devastating earthquake of magnitude 7.9 has hit central Nepal and parts of Northern India at 11.41 a.m. Its reverberations are being felt even now all over Nepal and parts of India as far as Indi’s capital Delhi.
The United States Geological Survey had previously rated the tremblor at 7.5 magnitude but has since updated it at 7.9. The epicentre of the quake was the scenic village of Pokhra, only 50 miles from Kathmandu.
The earthquake has caused widespread damage to property especially in Kathmandu, where buildings have been built in close proximity to each, with photos being shared on social media soon after the tremors
Reaching out immediately, India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi has tweeted, “We are in the process of finding more information and are working to reach out to those affected, both at home & in Nepal.”
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2020.07.31Indian Ocean connect: Modi brands India’s development partnership
- India and the World2020.07.31China’s envoy rejects threat narrative, focuses on win-win with India
- Diplomacy2020.07.29ISIS threat in Kerala and Karnataka
- What they Say2020.07.22India need to take more risks: Jaishankar