“Over the next five years, the Railway has to go through a transformation,” Mr Prabbhu said. The chartered accountant-turned-politician underlined his key four goals as cleanliness, safety, modernization of infrastructure and making the railways financially self-sustainable. “We have to make Indian Railways a benchmark organisation in safety, security and infrastructure.”
“There will be no hike in railway passenger fares. We will focus on improving passenger amenities,” the minister said.
Here are some highlights of Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu’s rail budget speech, the first rail budget presented by the BJP-led NDA government.
- Railways plays a major role in India’s social and economic development
- Railways is the heart of Indian economy
- We will make Indian railways reliant, comfortable, safe and of global standard
- Gandhi started his struggle for independence by travelling in third class of Indian railways. The third class does not exist in Indian Railways anymore
- One of primary objectives is to increasing financial health of India
- Good governance emerges out of participative governance – people’s involvement very high with railways
- Railway has suffered from a vicious cycle of underinvestment for long time leading to deterioration
No increase in passenger fares
In next 5 years, our aim is to increase existing capacity for high density networks
17000 more toilets to be replaced by bio-toilets
All India 24-7 helpline number will become operational
Wi-fi to be available at 400 railway stations
SMS alert services for passengers to inform them about arrival and departure of trains.
Operation 5 minutes to ensure that a passenger travelling unreserved can purchase a ticket within 5 minutes.
To introduce air-conditioned coaches for suburban trains
Modern facilities for disabled citizens, senior citizens, patients through IRCTC
67% more funds allotted for passenger amenities.
In 400 stations wi-fi facility will be provided.
By 2019, the proposed investment in Railways would be in tune of Rs 856021 crore.
Advance reservation period increased to 120 days.
Speed will be increased to 160-200 kms from 110-130 kms, so Delhi-Kolkata journey can now be done overnight
6608 kms of track to be electrified
Projects worth Rs. 96,182 crore to expand capacity of 9,420 km rail lines
For safety of women, cameras will be provided in selected mainline coaches and ladies compartments.
Toll free number 182 created for security related complaints
Proposed the best operating ratio in nine years, of 88.5 per cent for 2015-16
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- What they Say2021.05.06
- China Connect2021.04.30Xi Jinping to PM Modi: May India prevail over pandemic
- India and the World2021.04.28World rallies in solidarity with Covid-stricken India, send oxygen & equipment
- India and the World2021.04.26India, Japan leaders join hands to combat Covid, focus on supply chains