HAMBURG: Amid India’s aggravating relations with China, Prime Minister Narendra Modi touched down in the northern German port city of Hamburg for the G20 summit of the world’s major and emerging economies which. The summit will focus on forging a unified global response to a host of global crises, including the proliferation of trans-national terror networks, climate change and sustainable development.
Mr Modi flew to Hamburg from Tel Aviv on July 6 where his wide-ranging talks with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu elevated India-Israel relations to the level of strategic partnership.
At the G20 summit, Mr Modi is expected to highlight India’s concerns about trans-national terrorism and diminishing commitment to the Paris Accord, which suffered a major blow after the abrupt withdrawal of the US from the pact. On the issue of climate change, Mr Modi, who had a successful meeting with US President Donald Trump in Washington House only a couple of weeks ago, is expected to fully support the G2 agenda, under the German presidency, focus on climate change and sustainable development.
India sees a convergence with major focus areas of the agenda of the 12th G20 summit, being held in Hamburg on July7-8, which include, besides terrorism and climate change, issues relating to free and open trade amid the rising wall of protectionism, migration, black money and global stability.
The master theme of the 12th G20 summit is “Shaping an Interconnected World.”
The “Group of Twenty” comprises 19 major and emerging economies, including Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the USA.
- Manish Chand is Founder-CEO and Editor-in-Chief of India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) and India and World, a pioneering magazine focused on international affairs. He is CEO/Director of TGII Media Private Limited, an India-based media, publishing, research and consultancy company.
- China Connect2020.12.03China’s New Development Philosophy: What it means for India
- India and the World2020.11.12With China on mind, India, UK set to deepen Indo-Pacific connect
- India and the World2020.10.30India sheds ambivalence, backs France and Macron against terror
- India and the World2020.10.27With China in focus, India & US sign BECA, align Indo-Pacific vision