A strong quake measuring 6.2 on the Richter scale hit Afghanistan on August 10 with the epicenter in the Hindukush region. Jammu and Kashmir is said to have felt the maximum impact due to its geographical proximity to the region, while other parts of North India, including Punjab, Haryana and Delhi, are also said to have felt the tremors. The National Capital Region and other parts of northern India have been experiencing many quakes in the recent past, including the Nepal earthquake which caused massive destruction in Nepal.
Omar Abdullah, the former Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, also tweeted about the quake saying, “That was a hell of a tremor. Hope everyone is safe & well.” The epicenter of the quake was 88 kilometers (54.68 miles) from Feyzabad in Afghanistan at a depth of 209 kilometers (129.87 miles), according to the US Geological Survey.
While no loss of property or life has been reported as of now, the panic-stricken people were seen running out of offices and homes in Delhi, Chandigarh and Srinagar according to reports.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2021.11.26Putin visit to India: 2+2 boost for India-Russia ties
- Diplomacy2021.11.2626/11@13: India reminds Pakistan of closure, justice for Mumbai terror victims
- India and the World2021.11.18PM Modi warns world about crypto-currencies falling in wrong hands
- Business with India2021.11.15FTAs with Australia, UK, UAE on fast track: Piyush Goyal