Ground Zero in New York now signifies as a sacred space that is a testament of remembrance for those who lost their lives, and a symbol of the United States’ resilience in the face of barbaric acts of terrorism on the skyscraper building of World Trade Centre.
In a humble gesture, meant to speak a thousand words, India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the 9/11Meuseum in New York and paid homage at National September 11 Memorial.
The 9/11 terror attacks in 2001 that killed nearly 3,000 people ignited the US’ war against terrorism which has continued with far reaching geo-political consequences as on date.
Dressed in sombre white kurta-payjama with a grey stole on his shoulders, Modi walked around the memorial and visited the museum early morning on September 27.
He also laid a wreath at the tree planted at the 9/11 Memorial site.
The 9/11 Memorial was inaugurated by President Barack Obama earlier this year in May.
India and the US have committed themselves to working with each other in their collective fight to counter terrorism.
Among the around 2,977 people who lost their lives on that eventual day in 2001, there were nine Indian victims, whose names have been inscribed on the tablets that form the facade of the 9/11 memorial along with the others.
These departed Indians are Ganesh K Ladkat, Anil Shivhari Umarkar, Sushil S Solanki, Alok Kumar Mehta, Shekhar Kumar, Alok Agarwal, Jayesh Shantilal Shah, Yudhvir S Jain and Hashmukh C Parmar.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace
- India and the World2020.07.03Australian envoy bats for India’s UNSC seat, closer cooperation in G-11 & Quad
- Diplomacy2020.07.02Trump’s G11 invitation a vote of confidence in India: Anil Wadhwa
- India and the World2020.07.01From G7 to G11: Australian envoy, top experts to unpack new world order