After making the pulse polio campaign highly successful in India, Indian iconic actor Amitabh Bachchan is set to be the face of the government’s campaign against Hepatitis B, a critical health issue in India.
He was previously associated with UNICEF as a brand ambassador for polio awareness campaigns and played a pivotal role in its eradication from India.
Hapitatis B is especially prevalent in the tribal areas. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) latest report, India has over 40 million patients infected with this disease. Every year, nearly 600,000 patients lose their lives from HBV infection in the Indian subcontinent.
The health ministry has finalised the deal with Big B, and the campaign is set to be launched in April 2015, according to the health ministry reports.
The health ministry has identified 201 districts, in which, nearly 50% children are partially vaccinated or unvaccinated. The ministry aims to target 5% vaccination each year in a bid to speed up immunisation coverage. According to Union health minister J P Nadda, the government plans to achieve its mission by 2020.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2022.12.01India@G20: A presidency of healing, harmony and hope
- Diplomacy2022.11.27India’s G20 presidency to focus on global good: PM Modi
- Diplomacy2022.11.16Modi’s green diplomacy in Bali: India joins Mangrove Alliance for Climate
- Diplomacy2022.11.15India calls for Ukraine dialogue, focus on energy security