India’s External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar has categorically denied US President Donald Trump’s claim that Prime Minister Narendra Modi sought the US president’s help in resolving the Kashmir dispute with Pakistan.
“No such request was made by the Prime Minister to the U.S. President, I would like to reiterate that India’s position is that all issues with Pakistan will be discussed only bilaterally and no third party will be involved in mediation. Any engagement with Pakistan would require an end to cross-border terrorism ” Mr. Jaishankar told Rajya Sabha, the upper house of India’s parliament, on July 23.
With Pakistan’s Prime Minister Imran Khan sitting next to him at the White House, Mr Trump ignited a controversy by claiming that Mr Modi had asked him to be a mediator in resolving the Kashmir issue. “I was with Prime Minister Modi two weeks ago and we talked about this subject and he actually said ‘Would you like to be a mediator or arbitrator’, I said ‘Where’, He said ‘Kashmir’. Because this has been going on for many, many years,” Mr. Trump had said on July 22.
New Delhi repudiated Mr Trump’s remarks. “We have seen [Mr. Trump’s] remarks to the press that he is ready to mediate, if requested by India & Pakistan, on Kashmir issue. No such request has been made by PM Narendra Modi to US President,” Mr Raveesh Kumar, the spokesperson of the external affairs ministry, said.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.03.01Environment in the Media webinar: It’s time for world to unite against global warming
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region
- Diplomacy2021.02.22PM Morrison reaches out to India amid Australia v/s Facebook tussle