Terror returned to haunt the streets of Manhattan as at least 8 people were killed and about a dozen injured when a pick-up truck ran over cyclists and pedestrians alongside the Hudson River on the far west side of lower Manhattan. The driver has been identified as a 29-year-old Uzbek who was shot in the abdomen by the police while he was about to flee after crashing his truck into a school bus.
A joint task force of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, New York City Police Department and other agencies probing the attack have found out that Sayfullo Saipov, the attacker, was a resident of Florida and a a number of other registered addresses in Ohio. He had been previously booked for minor traffic violations. It is also reported that he had commercial license in two states that allowed him to drive large trucks.
While some news agencies claimed that a note was left behind that said that the October 31 attack was carried out into the name of ISIS, Governor Andrew Cuomo said, “There’s no evidence to suggest a wider plot or a wider scheme. These are the actions of one individual meant to cause pain and harm and probably death”. Hours after the attack the Halloween parade passing through the area was given increased police protection.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- China Connect2020.11.28A New Start, A New Journey
- Diplomacy2020.11.26India-Italy Connect: The Road Ahead (WEBINAR VIDEO)
- India and the World2020.11.25Italian envoy calls for rebalancing Europe-China ties, pitches for enhanced defence ties with India
- Diplomacy2020.11.24India eyes closer ties with Bahrain, UAE, and Seychelles