Ending speculation about the status of Mullah Omar, the Taliban on July 30 confirmed the death of their one-eyed supreme leader. The Taliban’s supreme council in a meeting unanimously decided that Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour would be the new leader and successor to Mullah Mohammad Omar.
Mansour headed the supreme council for a while and was a key member of the Taliban government under Mullah Omar where Mansour was the civil aviation and transport minister. He was also the Taliban governor of Kandahar in 2007. Before becoming Mullah Omar’s deputy in 2010, he was the chief of military affairs for a regional Taliban military council. The Taliban’s statement on Omar’s death, in the Pashto language, called him “the late leader of the faithful.”
The second round of Afghan peace talks which was supposed to be held on July 31 has been postponed due to the resulting uncertainty surrounding the Taliban after public declaration of the death of Mullah Omar. The Taliban statement also said a three-day mourning period for Mullah Omar would be observed. The statement issued did not make any mention of where and when he died, except that he died of illness. It would be interesting to observe how the Taliban under the new leadership would regroup and whether it would want to engage with the Afghanistan government for lasting peace.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Africa Insights2020.07.11Webinar Video: Mapping Next Steps in India-Africa Partnership
- China Connect2020.07.10It’s time to put India-China relations back on track, think ahead: Chinese envoy
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace