Minister of State for External Affairs V.K. Singh headed a 200-strong business delegation, from India to take part in this showpiece diplomatic-business conducted by China to underline synergies between South Asia with the mainland China. This year, India is the guest of honour at the expo, which has seen sealing of deals worth billions of dollars.
Keen to cash in on new opportunities, the Indian delegation comprising marquee names in India’s business world such as the Tata Group and Infosys have pitched their tent at the expo. In addition, West Bengal’s Finance Minister Amit Mitra headed a delegation from his state to attend the Expo.
This is the third consecutive year that the South Asia Expo is being organised by China. The five-day expo is aimed at boosting cooperation between China and South Asian nations, where China has ramped up its investments and financed mammoth infrastructure projects. Besides India, delegations from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Nepal are also participating in the event.
After its opening, the five-day expo has attracted more than 20,000 businessmen and 3,179 enterprises from about 70 countries or regions. So far, nearly 300 deals worth $55 billion have been signed at the expo. The deals included 255 domestic investment projects worth $49 billion and 44 foreign investment and trade deals worth $5.7 billion.
The international deals involved companies from several countries, including the United States, Japan, France, Italy, Thailand, Myanmar and Laos.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.09.23Defence and security cooperation was a key 21st century pillar for India and Africa : Jaishankar
- The Power of India2020.09.22We live in an international community linked together at multiple levels by multiple arrangements : Shringla
- India and the World2020.09.22The UN faces a crisis of confidence and today’s challenges cannot be fought with outdated structures : Modi
- The Power of India2020.09.21Our agriculture sector is in desperate need of latest technology that assists the industrious farmers :Modi