Lee Kuan Yew, the founding father of modern Singapore and the man synonymous with the Singapore model of development, was a man of many parts. He was not only a visionary, but also an influential orator, a master at captivating audiences with his pithy quotes, free speeches and withering put-downs. Here are some of his famous sayings:
On His Eternal Life:
“Even from my sickbed, even if you are going to lower me into the grave and I feel that something is going wrong, I will get up. Those who believe that after I have left the government as prime minister, I will go into a permanent retirement really should have their heads examined.”
– National Day Rally of 1988, two years before he stepped down as prime minister.
On His Legacy:
“If Singapore is a nanny state, then I’m proud to have fostered one.”
– “From Third World to First: The Singapore Story: 1965-2000″.
“Without her, I would be a different man, with a different life … I should find solace in her 89 years of a life well lived. But at this moment of the final parting, my heart is heavy with sorrow and grief.”
– Mr Lee’s eulogy to his wife who died in 2010
On Singapore’s Famous Chewing-Gum Ban
“If you can’t think because you can’t chew, try a banana.”
– Remark to a BBC reporter in 2000
“So when the graduate man does not want to marry a graduate woman, I tell him he’s a fool, stupid. You marry a non-graduate, you’re going to have problems, some children bright, some not bright. You’ll be tearing your hair out. You can’t miss.”
– “Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going,” written by Lee and published in 2011.
His place in Madame Tussauds:
“When I visited Madame Tussauds as a student in the 1940s … there were two groups of figures: the famous and the notorious, either British kings and famous leaders, or notorious murderers. I hope Madame Tussauds will not put my likeness too close to the notorious.”
– “The Wit & Wisdom of Lee Kuan Yew,” a collection of his quotes published in 2013.
PC? No way:
“I always tried to be correct, not politically correct.”
– “From Third World to First: The Singapore Story.”
On His Authoritarian Style:
“You know the cure for all this talk is really a good dose of incompetent government. You get that alternative and you’ll never put Singapore together again: Humpty Dumpty cannot be put together again … my asset values will disappear, my apartments will be worth a fraction of what they were, my ministers’ jobs will be in peril, their security will be at risk and their women will become maids in other people’s countries, foreign workers. I cannot have that!”
– Comment to Singaporean media, 2007
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2020.12.01SCO meet: India targets Pakistan for terrorism, China for BRI
- China Connect2020.11.28A New Start, A New Journey
- Diplomacy2020.11.26India-Italy Connect: The Road Ahead (WEBINAR VIDEO)
- India and the World2020.11.25Italian envoy calls for rebalancing Europe-China ties, pitches for enhanced defence ties with India