FORTALEZA: India’s newly-elected Prime Minister Narendra Modi looked the picture of poise as he shook hands warmly with Chinese President Xi Jinping before sitting down for wide-ranging talks that mapped the pathways for intensifying multi-pronged interactions between the two Asian giants in the days to come.
The talks were wide-ranging and held in a warm and cordial atmosphere, reliable sources said after the talks held at the Grand Marquis Hotel July 14 in the Brazilian port city Fortaleza on the sidelines of the BRICS summit.
This was the first meeting between the leaders of Asia’s second and third largest economies.
The two leaders are understood to have discussed a wide gamut of bilateral, regional and global issues.
Prime Minister Modi is understood to have invited the Chinese president to visit India at an early date. The invitation was accepted, with Xi Jinping expected to pay his first state visit to India later this year, likely September/October.
Issues relating to maintenance of peace and tranquillity along the Line of Actual Control and addressing trade deficit through greater Chinese investment were among key issues that figured prominently in the talks.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2021.09.30Quad set to grow stronger, more focus on economic than China
- Diplomacy2021.09.27Webinar: Eminent diplomats, experts to map post-summit future of Quad
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific
- What they Say2021.09.24Kamala Harris inspiration for the world: Modi