India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi, whose two day tour to Germany ends today, was given a Guard of Honor when he arrived in Berlin from Hannover Messe (the biggest industrial fair, where India was a partner country). The ceremonial welcome was given by German Chancellor Angela Merkel in the courtyard of the Federal Chancellery in the capital city.
After the welcome, Mr Modi attended a working lunch hosted by the German Chancellor, following which the two leaders sat down for bilateral talks.
Earlier in the day, he had met several German leaders and dignitaries including German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Allianz SE Oliver Baete.
Before leaving for Canada later in the day (Germany is the second stop after France on his nine day, three nation tour), Mr Modi will attend a session at a science and technology academy to see aspects of railway modernization. Upgrading railway infrastructure to enhance connectivity is integral to his vision of reviving manufacturing and improving India’s ranking on the Ease of Doing Business Index (currently at a dismal 142 out of 189 countries).
At Canada, the Prime Minister shall be meeting his Canadian counterpart, Stephen Harper. During his stay, Mr Modi will reach out to Indian Diaspora in Vancouver and Toronto. This is the first bilateral visit to Canada by Indian Prime Minister in 42 years.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2021.06.10India-Germany @70: Greater cooperation in shaping Indo-Pacific & rules-based order
- India & EU2021.06.10India, Germany celebrate 70th anniversary of ties with special stamp
- India and the World2021.06.08Free vaccines to states, India will prevail over Corona: Modi
- India and the World2021.06.07With SAARC declining, Modi calls for bolstering BIMSTEC