It’s déjà vu all over again with Pakistan calling off the peace process with India. Pakistan’s envoy to India Abdul Basit has said that the dialogue with India is suspended and will most likely not give the National Investigative Agency (NIA) access to probe JeM chief Masood Azhar in the Pathankot attacks. This latest development comes a few days after Pakistan’s Joint Investigation Team had visited India to probe the Pathankot attacks.
The assault on the Pathankot airbase was masterminded by Pakistan based Jaish-e-Mohammed. The Pathankot attacks had stalled the peace process between the two countries and the latest development following Mr Basit’s remarks has resulted in a new low in the diplomatic ties between both the countries. The recent arrest of the alleged RAW agent Kulbhushan Jadhav in Balochistan triggered a row between the two sides.
The recent decision by China to block India’s move at the UN to designate Azhar as a terrorist has fuelled tensions between India and Pakistan. “I would say the dialogue is suspended,” Mr Basit said. He was responding to a question on the status of the comprehensive bilateral dialogue announced by India’s External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Pakistan’s foreign policy chief Sartaj Aziz.
(Sridhar Ramaswamy contributed inputs for this article)
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.04.22PM Modi invites world to partner with India for green development
- India and the World2021.04.22What Biden-Suga summit means for Indo-Pacific
- India and the World2021.04.09After Modi visit, India, Bangladesh focus on forging “youth maitri bridge”
- India and the World2021.04.08Post-Modi visit, webinar to focus on next steps in India-Bangladesh partnership