Modi, who will address the United Nations General Assembly onSeptember 27, is also expected to visit the new 9/11 Museum and Memorial inaugurated by US President Barack Obama in May.
The threat of global terrorism is expected to be one of the key issues to be discussed by the world leaders at the UNGA. With jihadi groups like The Islamic State and Boko Haram emboldened by their recent surge, terrorism has one again become a rallying point for countries across the globe.
In September, Al Qaeda announced the formation of its South Asia wing, especially targeting India. The group’s leader Ayman al Zawahiri promised to “raise the flag of jihad” and tear dawn the national boundaries that divide Muslims.
In a recent interview, Modi called these efforts to recruit Muslims from India for jihad “delusional.”
Terrorism will also be a crucial issue of discussion between Mr Modi and Mr Obama during their full-spectrum meeting in Washington on September 30.
In a first, Modi has also agreed to attend the Global Citizens Festival in the Great Lawn of the Central Park, New York which is held every year to coincide with the UNGA. Modi is expected to speak at the event for 15 minutes, where he will address the issue of ending global poverty by 2030.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace
- India and the World2020.07.03Australian envoy bats for India’s UNSC seat, closer cooperation in G-11 & Quad
- Diplomacy2020.07.02Trump’s G11 invitation a vote of confidence in India: Anil Wadhwa