Mr Modi’s 3-nation tour is about selling the India story in the Westand showcasing his government’s positive programs for economic resurgence to help build multifarious partnerships with the West. In tune with this, the Prime Minister, currently in Germany, spelt out his mission- to completely eliminate poverty from the nation and propel Indians into a life of purpose and dignity within a generation- in an op-ed for a German newspaper. He said that development was not merely a political agenda for his government, it was an “article of faith”.
Merging Mr Modi’s twin goals of reviving manufacturing and removing poverty, the ed showed how Make in India was integral to several regional policies (such as Act East and Link West policies).He wrote that the goal of “inclusive development” went beyond economic development and required creatingquality jobs, upgrading skills, raising productivity, benchmarking quality with global standards.Adding a personal touch, he said that his own life-experiences had convinced him that good governance in India’s economic development can make this noble objective achievable.
Referring to the paradigm shift in India’s economic growth rate during his tenure,Mr Modi wrote thatthe government had re-energized the Indian growth engine in the past 11 months and the credibility of our economy has been restored (RBI projected a growth rate of 7.8% for FY’16 and Moody’s revised the economy’s outlook from stable to positive). He noted that India was the only emerging economy where growth rate is rising.
He wrote about the challenges faced by Indian economy- urban distress, lack of infrastructure and skill development- which can be solid business opportunities for the Germans (and other Western governments).
Prime Minister Modi, along with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, inaugurated India Pavilion at the Hannover Messe Fair, showinga renewed interest among countries to building economic partnerships with India. Earlier, Mr Modi attended a round table conference with top German CEOs,includingVoith CEO Dr.HubertLienhard and Bombardier Transportation CEO Lutz Bertling,where he pitched for his “Make in India” campaign.
After a successful visit to France, Mr Modi’s two day German tour shall be followed by a visit to Canada.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.09.23Defence and security cooperation was a key 21st century pillar for India and Africa : Jaishankar
- The Power of India2020.09.22We live in an international community linked together at multiple levels by multiple arrangements : Shringla
- India and the World2020.09.22The UN faces a crisis of confidence and today’s challenges cannot be fought with outdated structures : Modi
- The Power of India2020.09.21Our agriculture sector is in desperate need of latest technology that assists the industrious farmers :Modi