Looking to make India as its major defence and space manufacturing hub, Airbus expressed its keen interest to invest in India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led “Make in India” campaign through collaborating with regional partners.
Bernhard Gerwert, CEO of Airbus Defence and Space, called on the prime minister in New Delhi on June 30 to inform him of the company’s plans for the ‘Make in India’ initiative. The two discussed various projects in India’s defence, aerospace and civil aviation sectors.
Mr Gerwert recalled Mr Modi’s visit to the Airbus manufacturing facility in Toulouse in France in April and underlined that his visit had generated a “positive atmosphere and interest in the country. In return, Mr Modi welcomed the interest shown by Airbus in India.
During Mr Modi’s visit to France, Airbus had announced to increase its Indian outsourcing to $2 billion from $400 million over the next five years. Currently, the Airbus Group operates two engineering centres; one on civil aviation and the other on defence, along with research and technology centre, which employ over 400 engineers and high-skilled staff.
Earlier this month, the group had registered its Indian operations under one entity – Airbus Group India Private Limited. The agenda of this new development was to ensure more internal coordination, and an efficient engagement with local stakeholders. The company’s former corporate secretary, Pierre de Bausset, had been appointed as the head of the new entity.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.08.02India in UNSC: A unique opportunity to showcase India’s Security Council ambition
- What they Say2021.07.29Negotiation the only path to achieve peace in Afghanistan: Blinken
- Diplomacy2021.07.28US pledges $25 million for vaccines in India, will end pandemic
- Diplomacy2021.07.28Jaishankar, Blinken discuss Afghanistan, Quad