Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, the man behind the 26/11 attack in Mumbai, is being kept at an ISI safe house on the outskirts of Lahore, away from public gaze. This area is known to have a sizeable presence of terror outfits Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jamaat-ud-dawa. Special plain-clothed commandoes, detailed from the Pakistan Army, guard the place round the clock. He was brought here after his release from prison, where he is reported to have enjoyed an epicurean lifestyle.
Throughout, Pakistan has always maintained that it has been fighting a long-war against terrorism, and that the country has never supported non-state terror actors like Lakhvi and Hafiz Saeed. But recent intelligence reports have exposed their lies, and have stated that Pakistan Army is protecting this known terrorist.
The reports further stated that even in Pakistan very few people knew about his whereabouts ever since he had been released from Rawalpindi’s Adiala Jail on April 10.
It is believed that he is in regular contact with the officials of Pakistan Army and the ISI. Indian Intelligence agencies believe that he may be planning another terror attack against India. The reports have warned that he may try to replicate the 26/11 strike, on similar coastal targets in Gujarat or Maharashra.
Lakhvi, 55, a close relative of LeT founder and JuD chief Hafiz Saeed, is said to be the best operational commander in LeT; he was personally monitoring and guiding the ten LeT militants while they were carrying out the Mumbai attacks, in which over 160 people died and more than 300 people got injured. Lakhvi was arrested in December 2008 along with six others in connection with the attack.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- News2021.05.14India fighting Covid on a war footing: PM Modi
- Diplomacy2021.05.14In Solidarity: Italy sends more Covid-19 relief to India
- China Connect2021.05.10China provides oxygen, ventilators to bolster India’s anti-Covid fight
- Diplomacy2021.05.08Trade and beyond: a new impetus to the EU-India Partnership