Giving Turkey 48 hours to withdraw its forces, Iraq has asserted that the Turkish forces entered the country illegally and warned that Ankara should face “all available options”, including recourse to the UN Security Council, if it doesn’t quit.
Iraq has been struggling to assert its sovereignty while receiving foreign assistance against the Islamic State group. Iraq said Turkish forces with tanks and artillery entered Iraq without its permission.
“In the absence of the withdrawal of these forces within 48 hours, Iraq has the right to use all available options,” including recourse to the Security Council, a statement from Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi’s office said. T he Turkish forces entered “without the approval or knowledge of the Iraqi government,” it said.
Iraq’s autonomous Kurdish region, which has troops present in the area, said that Turkey had sent military experts and supplies to expand the base. Defence Minister Khaled al-Obeidi also asked for the forces to be withdrawn in a telephone call with his Turkish counterpart Ismet Yilmaz, the ministry said.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2020.10.21Ahead of India-US 2+ 2 dialogue, US pitches for ‘regularized’ Quad
- Business with India2020.10.16We have moved from G-7 to G-20 : S. Jaishankar
- THE QUOTE HANGER2020.10.15“Don’t take rest after your first victory because if you fail in second, more lips are waiting to say that your first victory was just luck.” Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
- Books / Poetry2020.10.13A Poem by Louis Gluck: The Night Migrations