With the talks coming to a successful conclusion between the P5+1 countries and Iran in Viennna, the global nuclear watchdog IAEA said that it has signed a roadmap with Tehran for probing suspected efforts to develop nuclear weapons. IAEA chief Yukiya Amano said that he aims to issue a report on the watchdog’s investigation by December 15.
One of the sticking points in the probe has been the IAEA’s desire to inspect military sites, where suspicious activities may have taken place. According to Amano, the roamap “sets out a clear sequence of activities over the coming months, including the provision by Iran of explanations regarding outstanding issues. It provides for technical expert meetings, technical measures and discussions, as well as a separate arrangement regarding the issue of (Iranian military base) Parchin.”
The IAEA is expected to probe the past allegations that till 2003 Iran’s nuclear programme had possible military dimensions and was deigned to make nuclear bombs. Iran has rejected these allegations and accused the opponents of framing these baseless allegations. The roadmap sets out ca lear sequence of activities over the next few months, including Iran’s explanation on the outstanding issues. The report, with the agency’s assessment of a possible military dimension to Iran’s nuclear programme, would be submitted to the board of governors by the end of the year.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Quote-Unquote2022.05.04India believes there will be no winner in Russia-Ukraine conflict : Modi
- India and the World2022.05.02Modi, German Chancellor discuss Ukraine, Indo-Pacific
- India and the World2022.04.21UK PM unveils £1 billion investment in India
- India and the World2022.04.11Modi-Biden talks to set tone for India-US 2+2 dialogue