India, which is in the middle of evacuating its nationals from Yemen, has agreed to Sri Lanka’s request to rescue Sri Lankan nationals who are stranded in the war-torn Gulf country. There are around 75-100 Sri Lankans, mostly students and expatriates, still stuck in different parts of Yemen.
As the situation worsens in Yemen with Shite militias and the Saudi Arabia-led coalition continually involved in gun fighting and bombing, destroying missiles and weapons, Sri Lanka has approached India, a close friend and partner, to cooperate in bringing back its citizens. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Sri Lanka’s Foreign Minister, Colombo’s embassy in Muscat, which is accredited to Yemen, are exploring all possible opportunities to evacuate its nationals.
The Foreign Ministry of Sri Lanka had contacted Sri Lanka’s high commission in New Delhi, and its embassy in Muscat, to coordinate with India’s Ministry of External Affairs to facilitate the rescue process.
“The Indian government has promptly acceded to the request of the government of Sri Lanka to bring the stranded Sri Lankans along with Indian nationals in Yemen, who are to be evacuated by air and sea on special flights and ships respectively,” India’s external affairs ministry said.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region
- Diplomacy2021.02.22PM Morrison reaches out to India amid Australia v/s Facebook tussle
- India and the World2021.02.18Forging closer India-EU partnership in Indo-Pacific