Strongly condemning the terror attacks in Canada, India has underlined its solidarity with the North American nation and stressed that the two countries will bolster cooperation in combating the scourge of terrorism.
“As a nation that has experienced a horrific terrorist attack on its Parliament, we share the sense of outrage and trauma of the people of Canada over the attack on the highest institution of democracy,” India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a statement.
“I express, on behalf of the people of India, our condolences to the people of Canada for the loss of their soldiers and our solidarity with them at this difficult moment,” he said.
Describing Canada as “one of India’s strongest partners,” the prime minister underscored that “the two countries will continue to strengthen our cooperation in combating terrorism and other crimes for a safer future for our people.”
Buttressing counter-terror cooperation figured prominently in discussions between the foreign ministers of India and Canada in New Delhi October 14. During talks with her Canadian counterpart John Baird, India’s External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj had conveyed New Delhi’s concerns over a recent spike in activities of separatist Khalistan activists rooting for an independent state carved out of India’s northern state Punjab.
During the meeting, Mr Baird had acknowledged “India’s concerns in terms of radical elements perhaps misusing opportunities available in Canada,” said Syed Akbaruddin, the spokesperson of India’s external affairs ministry.
“And we both agreed that counterterrorism is an important part of our cooperation between the two countries and in our case, it was radical groups who may tend to misuse Canadian soil to promote that,” he had said.
The separate attacks on the Canadian military personnel in Quebec and Ottawa and the shooting in the Canadian Parliament in Ottawa, close to where Prime Minister Stephen Harper was speaking, has shocked the world and underlined the need for enhanced global cooperation in countering terrorism.
No group has claimed responsibility for either of these attacks.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2021.07.20India, Japan to partner in Russia’s Far East, Pacific Island states
- Culture2021.07.16Kashi has been adorned with so many development projects in the last 7 years and it won’t be complete without Rudraksh :Modi
- India and the World2021.07.14India to China: Early resolution of crisis in interest of both countries
- Africa Insights2021.07.14India brands Africa partnership with “co-capabilities and co-benefits” mantra