“There is a threat perception from such agencies but the nation is prepared for it,” said Raha on September 5 at the margins of a seminar on the role of the IAF in the 1965 war with Pakistan.
Raha was referring to the September 4 announcement by Al Qaeda that it had created a group called “Qaedat al-Jihad in the Indian Subcontinent”.
In a 55-minute video, Al Qaeda chief Ayman Al-Zawahiri called the formation of the group a glad tiding for Muslims in the region, and added that the group will aim to “break all borders created by Britain in India” and “raise the flag of jihad” across the subcontinent.
Al Zawahiri said the global jihadi organisation had not forgotten injustices and oppressions suffered by Muslims “in Burma, Bangladesh, Assam, Gujarat, Ahmedabad, and Kashmir”.
Some security experts suggest that the video is an attempt by a weakened Al Qaeda to find new recruitments in the sub-continent as it faces pressures, in West Asia from the other Sunni Jihadi group The Islamic State.
Following Al Qaeda’s announcement India’s Home Ministry hadissued an all-India alert.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace
- India and the World2020.07.03Australian envoy bats for India’s UNSC seat, closer cooperation in G-11 & Quad
- Diplomacy2020.07.02Trump’s G11 invitation a vote of confidence in India: Anil Wadhwa
- India and the World2020.07.01From G7 to G11: Australian envoy, top experts to unpack new world order