India and France are set to complete the framework agreement for the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets as France’s Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian began his visit to India on September 1.
The visit comes amid a deadlock in talks for fighter jets over the issue of off-set tweaking of weaponry technology, among others. The discussions were held at the highest level on both sides to get over the hurdles and one party had to compromise. The French had agreed to India’s conditions and if all goes as expected the contract for 36 Rafale jets will be inked during the minister’s visit. This will come as a relief to the defence forces which has been eyeing the aircraft for over a decade.
Some of the issues that had plagued the Indian defence forces during Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Paris in April were India’s demands of 50 percent off-set clause, tweaking of weaponry clause and plans to set up two bases for fighter jets. These issues were a hindrance in completing the deal. India announced the decision to acquire 36 Rafale fighters during PM Modi’s visit to Paris, a decision that was hailed by Paris and came as a boost to the modernisation plans of the Indian Air Force which was stuck for years. India has also constituted a committee headed by Air Marshal S.B.P. Sinha to negotiate with France and come out with the best possible deal.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2022.06.27In Alpine resort, Modi calls for creating pro-planet people
- India and the World2022.05.21Quad summit in Tokyo to focus on rules-based Indo-Pacific
- China Connect2022.05.19Implement Global Security Initiative, Maintain Peace and Stability in Asia
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi