India and France are set to complete the framework agreement for the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets as France’s Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian began his visit to India on September 1.
The visit comes amid a deadlock in talks for fighter jets over the issue of off-set tweaking of weaponry technology, among others. The discussions were held at the highest level on both sides to get over the hurdles and one party had to compromise. The French had agreed to India’s conditions and if all goes as expected the contract for 36 Rafale jets will be inked during the minister’s visit. This will come as a relief to the defence forces which has been eyeing the aircraft for over a decade.
Some of the issues that had plagued the Indian defence forces during Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Paris in April were India’s demands of 50 percent off-set clause, tweaking of weaponry clause and plans to set up two bases for fighter jets. These issues were a hindrance in completing the deal. India announced the decision to acquire 36 Rafale fighters during PM Modi’s visit to Paris, a decision that was hailed by Paris and came as a boost to the modernisation plans of the Indian Air Force which was stuck for years. India has also constituted a committee headed by Air Marshal S.B.P. Sinha to negotiate with France and come out with the best possible deal.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Africa Insights2020.07.11Webinar Video: Mapping Next Steps in India-Africa Partnership
- China Connect2020.07.10It’s time to put India-China relations back on track, think ahead: Chinese envoy
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace