“For border trade between India and China, the CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight) value per consignment is being increased from Rs. 1,00,000 to Rs. 2,00,000 in case of Nathula, while for Gunji and Namgaya Shipkila, the existing CIF value limit of Rs. 25,000 is being enhanced to Rs. 1,00,000,” said the Directorate General of Foreign Trade.
Both Asian giants are major trading partners for each other, and traders located in the border areas mostly import textile accessories such as carpets, blankets, readymade garments, jackets and quilts, and several other items mostly shoes, vegetable oil, rice, processed food and canned food.
India’s trade with China is burgeoning by the day, but the ballooning trade deficit has become a contentious issue in the bilateral economic relationship. In financial year 2013-14, New Delhi’s trade deficit with China went up to $37.8 billion, when bilateral trade was $65.85 billion.
The primary agenda of Mr Modi’s visit to China is widely expected to be economic and will seek to attract greater Chinese investment. In his discussions with the Chinese leadership, Mr Modi is expected to take up the issue of trade deficit and giving Indian products a greater access to the Chinese market
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- Diplomacy2021.03.05Connectivity with Bangladesh is of prime importance, says Jaishankar in Dhaka
- India and the World2021.03.01Environment in the Media webinar: It’s time for world to unite against global warming
- Diplomacy2021.02.24India at forefront of global action against terrorism: Jaishankar at UNHRC
- India and the World2021.02.23India-Japan collaboration in the North-East region