India and China are looking to fast-track the resolution of their decades-long boundary dispute even as they focus on confidence building measures to sustain peace on the Line of Actual Control in near term. Recently, the two Asian neighbours agreed to an additional border meeting point to reduce tensions in the Ladakh region. The meeting point is expected to be located close to Depsang plains in the Northern Ladakh region, which was also a point of contention when troops from both sides had a three-week face off in 2013.
While maintaining peace and tranquility on the undemarcated LAC is an important priority, special representatives of the two countries are expected to hold informal boundary talks on the sidelines of the July 8-10 BRICS summit in Ufa. India’s National Security Adviser Ajit Doval is likely to meet China’s State Councillor and SR Yang Jiechi and discuss proposals to resolve the boundary dispute which lies at the heat of tensions between the two countries. The Chinese side is understood to have proposed a meeting of SRs, which currently takes place annually, every three weeks.
The SRs have held 18 rounds of talks so far, but without visible breakthrough on contentious issues. The negotiations are currently stuck in Phase II, which entailed the demarcation of a framework, which in turn will form the basis for the final delineation of boundary between the two Asian juggernauts.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- India and the World2021.01.19Modi set to visit UK for G7, Johnson likely to visit India
- China Connect2021.01.16Xi’s ‘cloud diplomacy’ helps world emerge from pandemic with enhanced solidarity
- India and the World2021.01.16Pharma Pride: PM Modi leads world’s biggest vaccination drive
- News2021.01.16World hasn’t seen vaccination drive of this level ever.Indian response to Corona has been acknowledged globally: PM