NEW YORK- Members of the IBSA (India, Brazil, South Africa) dialogue forum, who met on the sidelines of the 69th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on September 25, have called for UN Security Council (UNSC) reforms and also urged the international community for concrete and coordinated responses to terrorism as per international law.
According a Joint Communiqué, the Ministers who took part in this meet underscored the urgent need for a comprehensive reform of the global institutions of political and economic governance, a concept that was mooted by India.
The members of IBSA stressed that UNSC must be enlarged in both permanent and non-permanent categories so that it can be more vocal, representative and better in reflecting geo-political realities.
The Joint Communiqué read: “Noting that the year 2015 is the 70th anniversary of the United Nations and the 10th year following the collective mandate of the Leaders at the 2005 World Summit calling for an early reform of the UN Security Council, the Ministers agreed to intensify their cooperation for a decisive conclusion next year on reforming the Security Council with the addition of new permanent and non-permanent members. They expressed full support for each other’s candidature for a permanent seat in a reformed UN Security Council.”
India’s Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj, Brazils’ Minister of External Relations Luiz Alberto Figueiredo Machado and South Africa’s Minister of International Relations and Cooperation MaiteNkoana-Mashabane, participated in the IBSA’s discussions.
Taking a strong stance against terrorism, the ministers underscored that terrorism is ‘a grave challenge to international peace and security’. They reaffirmed that the UN has a central role in coordinating international action against terrorism and called for a comprehensive and determined international action including strengthening of international normative regime through the early conclusion and adoption of the draft Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism.
During the meeting the three countries discussed wide-ranging issues of global and regional concerns including the ongoing violence in the Middle East, the conflict in Gaza and the efforts to end the Ebola crisis in West Africa.
According to the joint statement, the ministers talked of their efforts to contribute to a peaceful and diplomatic solution of the situation in Syria, and called on all parties of the conflict to abjure violence so that conducive environment may be created for an inclusive Syrian-led political dialogue leading to a comprehensive political solution.They agreed that inclusive political processes are the best way to address various conflicts.
“The international community, led by the UN and in conformity with the UN Charter and the principles of international law, should support inclusive political processes, rule of law and socio-economic development so that sustainable peace and security is established in conflict-ridden societies,” read the statement.
The IBSA forum is an international tripartite grouping between India, Brazil and South Africa, formed in 2003 through the Brasilia declaration, to promote South-South cooperation.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2022.06.27In Alpine resort, Modi calls for creating pro-planet people
- India and the World2022.05.21Quad summit in Tokyo to focus on rules-based Indo-Pacific
- China Connect2022.05.19Implement Global Security Initiative, Maintain Peace and Stability in Asia
- India and the World2022.05.17India-Nepal ties strong & stables as Himalayas: Modi