When India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi took centrestage at the Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto, thousands cheered the man who had not just captivated India, but the world. His picture of the transforming India – from ‘scam India’ to ‘skill India’ – elicited howls of applause.
Starting on an emotive note, the expat crowd sang the Indian national anthem as Mr Modi, who has morphed into a masterly performer, underlined his development goals which included increasing the number of skilled workers in the country and boosting the number of entrepreneurs. “Indians should be creating jobs instead of seeking them”.
Mr Modi talked about changing India’s perceptions before the whole world and claimed that he has created an atmosphere of trust and confidence in the country. “The government in India has changed, so has the outlook of Indians. My job is to ensure that India is cleaned up. It will take time to clean up the mess of the past. There is an atmosphere of trust in India now,” he said amid hysterical chants of “Modi, Modi, Modi.”
Highlighting the scientific skill and economical approach of Indians, Mr Modi said, “Our mission to mars cost less than what it takes to make a Hollywood film; Mangalyaan (Mars mission) is an example of Indian talent.”
Mr Modi was lavish in his praise of the Indo-Canadian community and their multifarious contribution to their adopted homeland. “Indians who have settled in Canada … have made a significant contribution to India and …I won’t be able to forget the love that has been extended by Canada (toward them).”
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to email@example.com
- India and the World2020.12.01SCO meet: India targets Pakistan for terrorism, China for BRI
- China Connect2020.11.28A New Start, A New Journey
- Diplomacy2020.11.26India-Italy Connect: The Road Ahead (WEBINAR VIDEO)
- India and the World2020.11.25Italian envoy calls for rebalancing Europe-China ties, pitches for enhanced defence ties with India