France has said that the sale of 36 Rafale fighter jets to India will be completed within 2-3 months. French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian confirmed the deadline, and said he would soon travel to India to map the way ahead.
Speaking at the Paris International Air Show on June 16, Mr Le Drian said, “I’ll be going to India very soon to see how things are coming along, but I have no concerns it will happen.” “The discussions with the Indian authorities are progressing very well,” he added.
The Rafale deal was announced during India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to France in April this year, under which India agreed to purchase 36 fighter jets in fly-away condition from French manufacturer Dassault Aviation.
The defence minister held a meeting with Rao Inderjit Singh, India’s Minister of State for Defence, on the sidelines of the Paris air show and discussed the details of the project. He is expected to hold another meeting with Mr Singh in this regard.
India has launched a major defence modernisation programme under Prime Minister Modi’s “Make in India” initiative, and has sought proactive partnership with key partners, including the US, Russia, France and Germany for the success of this mission.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomacy2021.09.25Quad summit bats for free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific
- What they Say2021.09.24Kamala Harris inspiration for the world: Modi
- Diplomacy2021.09.24India, Australia PMs discuss Covid-19, clean energy amid AUKUS row
- China Connect2021.09.24Chinese envoy cautious India against Quad ‘clique politics,’ seeks better ties