The new economic reforms unveiled by the Indian government have the potential to create a positive investor sentiment in the US, ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to New York and San Francisco from September 24 to 28.
Some of the recent reform initiatives taken by the government include waiving of Minimum Alternate Tax (MAT) on Foreign Institutional Investors (FII), reforms in the banking sector, raised Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in insurance and defence to 49 percent from the previous 26 percent.
A delegation of India’s top corporate honchos led by Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) visited San Francisco to drum up the India growth story and sought enhanced investments from the world’s largest economy. Speaking at an event organized by CII and The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE), CII Director General Chandrajit Banerjee said that the Modi government has had to tackle huge challenges posed by laws and regulations, including in coal and land, and stressed that things are moving on the ground.
Deep Kapuria, Chairman, Hi-Tech Gears Ltd, spoke about tremendous opportunities presented by the Small and Medium Eneterprises (SME) sector where there is burgeoning collaboration between Indian and the US companies and emphasized that much more in terms of supply chain integration could be done.
The primary focus of Mr Modi’s US visit will be to leverage US investments and technology that would help shore up the India growth story and stimulate the culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. PM Modi is expected to meet top business leaders and tech giants in New York and Silicon Valley, California, during his second visit to the US. This will be the first visit by an Indian prime minister to the West Coast in the US in over three decades.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Africa Insights2020.07.11Webinar Video: Mapping Next Steps in India-Africa Partnership
- China Connect2020.07.10It’s time to put India-China relations back on track, think ahead: Chinese envoy
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace