Ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Brussels for the India-EU summit on March 30, the Belgian capital has witnessed twin explosions in the departure area of the Zaventem airport. At least ten persons have been killed and several injured in the twin explosions. The blasts took place during the busy hours in the morning on March 22.
The airport is being evacuated and is closed to flights. The twin blasts occurred in the backdrop of the arrest of Salah Abdeslam, the main suspect in the Paris attacks on November 13, 2015. The recent developments in EU and the presence of Islamic State (IS) members in the European capital has been a major concern for the security establishment.
The EU and Turkey had finalised a pact on refugees recently to stem the flow of migrants. There has been growing dissent among many groups in Europe on allowing migrants to enter the region in such huge numbers and have expressed threat to the safety of the region. More than a million migrants had entered the region via the Aegean sea.
The latest blast in Brussels is likely to increase the pressure on EU to make stricter rules to check inflow of migrants into EU.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is an emerging think tank and a media-publishing company focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and the World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. The Global Insights India (TGII) is the research arm of India Writes Network. To subscribe to India and the World, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business with India2020.07.09India is playing a leading role in the global revival: Modi
- India and the World2020.07.06Doval-Wang video call defuses India-China crisis, focus back on border peace
- India and the World2020.07.03Australian envoy bats for India’s UNSC seat, closer cooperation in G-11 & Quad
- Diplomacy2020.07.02Trump’s G11 invitation a vote of confidence in India: Anil Wadhwa