The BRICS countries have collectively denounced “selective approach” to terror and called for enhancing counter-terror cooperation among emerging economies by jointly tackling new monsters like The Islamic State.
At their 7th BRICS summit in the Russian city of Ufa on July 9, the five BRICS countries called upon all states and the international community to stand by their commitments and obligations to fight terror and not take any selective or political approach to tackle this menace. While there was no direct reference made to Pakistan, the message should be clear to countries like Pakistan that is suspected of sheltering a host of militant outfits, including anti-India groups.
The growing influence of the Islamic State in the region and the vulnerabilities of emerging economies to such groups figured prominently in discussions among BRICS countries. Against this backdrop, the declaration condemned the acts of terror committed by terror groups like ISIL and other groups that indulge in large scale violation of human rights and international law.
The BRICS grouping also underlined the centrality of the UN in leading the global fight against terror. In the Ufa declaration, they strongly condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations. The Ufa declaration said that the UN has a central role to play in combating terror by coordination with the international community, which must be within the purview of international law, including the UN charter, international refugee and humanitarian law, human rights and fundamental freedoms.
The members also stated that, there can be no justification for any acts of terrorism based on political, religious, ideological, racial or any other justification. According to the Ufa declaration, the countries also said they believe that terrorist threats could be effectively addressed through a comprehensive implementation by states and international community of all their commitments and obligations arising from relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council and UN Global Counter-terrorism strategy.
The BRICS group which has traditionally focused on economic issues, has taken it to the next level by focusing on security issues as it realises the importance of combating terrorism to realize its economic goals and objectives.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is a pioneering e-magazine and portal focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have been interviewed by and have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. To subscribe to India and World, write to email@example.com
- News2020.05.30The present and future of 130 crore will never be dictated by an adversity : Modi
- China Connect2020.05.28India-China border stand-off: Chinese envoy calls for settling amicably, invokes close ties
- Diplomacy2020.05.27Trump offers to mediate in India-China border standoff
- Africa Insights2020.05.26Pandemic & Beyond: India, Africa to forge defining partnership of next decades: Rahul Chhabra