Ahead of his upcoming visit to India next week, US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter said America was looking for ways to complement India’s Act East policy and cooperate in important areas of the Asia Pacific region.
Dr Carter will sign the 2015 US-India Defence Framework, which will further enhance the two countries’ defence cooperation across various areas- from maritime security to aircraft carrier and jet engine technology. He will also visit the Eastern Naval Command at Vizag in Andhra Pradesh.
During his stay in India, he is scheduled to meet India’s Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar in New Delhi and sign the new US-India Defence Framework, which will guide military cooperation for the next decade. The two countries had previously signed a ten-year framework agreement in 2005.
Currently, the US is looking to strengthen its maritime security with several South Asian countries. With Japan and Australia, the US is expanding trilateral exercise and exploring defence technology cooperation. With Japan and Korea, the country is developing a first-of-a-kind information sharing system. With Japan and India, the United States is sharing lessons of disaster management and building greater maritime cooperation.
America is closely working with other Asian countries including Republic of Korea, Thailand, and the Philippines to ensure peace and stability in the region.
Referring to China’s growing dominance in the South China Sea, Dr Carter said that the US wanted a shared global architecture which would enable all the South Asian countries to grow together.
- India Writes Network (www.indiawrites.org) is a pioneering e-magazine and portal focused on international affairs & the India Story. A venture of TGII Media Private Limited, a leading media, publishing and consultancy company, IWN has carved a niche for balanced and exhaustive reporting and analysis of international affairs. Eminent personalities, politicians, diplomats, authors, strategy gurus and news-makers have been interviewed by and have contributed to India Writes Network, as also “India and World,” a magazine focused on global affairs. To subscribe to India and World, write to email@example.com
- China Connect2020.05.28India-China border stand-off: Chinese envoy calls for settling amicably, invokes close ties
- Diplomacy2020.05.27Trump offers to mediate in India-China border standoff
- Africa Insights2020.05.26Pandemic & Beyond: India, Africa to forge defining partnership of next decades: Rahul Chhabra
- Africa Insights2020.05.26It’s time for Indian companies to Make in Africa: Eritrea Ambassador